Fast Facts

icon
  • 7,066 accommodated stays in Crash Bed Program 2015-2016.

  • 342 children and 236 adults stayed at Rotholme 2014-2015.

  • Five branches devoted to 100% hope…more than a shelter.

  • 24,323+ volunteer hours donated in 2015-2016.

  • 14,395 Store Vouchers filled 2015-2016.


act now


Our History

text Size

plush minush

From the early days before its formation, God has lead and directed many individuals in support and work, on behalf of the Mission. This continues to this day, as an organization we are continually blessed with how God provides through a variety of avenues and resources. Our logo with its stylized cross in the center, is a constant reminder of what we do and why we do it.

Mission Directors

Founder: Rev. Alvin Roth 1951 – 1976
Successor: George Baron 1976 – 1987
Successor: Roger Smith 1987 – 1990
Successor: Horace Roberts 1990 – 1991
Successor: Rev. Fred Hagglund 1991 – 2010
Currently: Peter Rozeluk 2010 – present

 

Year Key Ministry Start Dates
1949 October, four young Mennonite men are milling through the Covent Garden Market, assessing the need and feasibility of opening a shelter for homeless men in London.
1951 On January 29th, the Goodwill Rescue Mission opened its shelter doors at 536 Talbot for a Christmas Meal to street people.
1951 The first monthly newsletter (February 25, 1951) reports, “THE GOODWILL RESCUE MISSION opened with three gospel services a day, one gospel service before breakfast, one gospel service before lunch and another one before bedtime….”
1956 A property was purchased at 668 King Street, opening in December, bringing “the reality of a Rescue Mission work for women on London’s skid row”.
1957 “11th Step House”. Bethel House opens as the Goodwill Rescue Mission’s rehabilitation arm at a farm in Wallacetown, outside of London.
1960 On May 2nd the Women’s Auxiliary is formed to support the work of the mission, for annual banquets, volunteering.
1961 September 17th, the new shelter at 459 York Street was officially opened as an 80 bed facility, newly named London Rescue Mission.
1962 Services to women, moved the shelter to 163 Clarence Street.
1964 The Women’s Auxiliary starts the clothing distribution center in support of the work of the branches of the London Rescue Mission.
1965 In April, Bethel House moved to London from Wallactown, locating at 477 Queens Avenue and renamed Quintin Warner House after Canon Quintin Warner, a local prominent Anglican clergy who “was largely responsible for introducing Alcoholics Anonymous to Canada.”
1966 The Women’s Auxiliary purchases a building at 461 York Street, beside the Men’s Mission as the clothing distribution centre. This was later to become The Mission Store (formerly The Twice Nice Thrift Mart) operating as a branch of Mission Services of London
1968 Teen Girls Home opens at 193 Wharncliffe Road (*Teen Girls Home was divested from Mission Services of London in 1996 becoming part of Western Area Youth Services, along with two other community agencies, Hardy Geddes House and Belton House).
1969 In October the Mennonite Conference of Eastern Canada turns over leadership and responsibility of the London Rescue Mission to a local interdenominational Board of Directors and thus Mission Services of London is created with branches of the Men’s Mission, Rotholme Women’s & Family Shelter, Quintin Warner House and The Mission Store (nee Twice Nice Thrift Mart).
1976 March 31, the annex house of Quintin Warner’s addiction treatment program was opened at 479 Maitland, operating as a transitional house for those having graduated the program.
1984 The blended services of single women and families moved into their new shelter at 42 Stanley Street as the newly constructed 41 bed shelter opened its doors on May 26th.
1988 The newly renovated and expanded Men’s Mission opened its doors providing 79 Emergency Shelter Beds and 25 Transitional beds, for men.
1988 Community Mental Health Programs was formed, providing service to the increasing numbers of those coming to the Men’s Mission with mental health challenges.
1992 Community Mental Health Services expands to Rotholme Women’s and Family Shelter
1998 December saw the opening of the first Crashbeds program (emergency shelter) of Mission Services of London, serving those with mental health challenges.
2002 January 9th, the newly purchased and renovated Head Office was opened at 415 Hamilton Road, leaving room for The Mission Store to expand in the previously occupied rented space at 300 William Street.
2005 The Men’s Mission site and Community Mental Health Programs expands with new renovations and additions to the original Men’s Mission building at 459 York Street. The Men’s Mission now provides: 111 Emergency Beds; 35 Transitional Beds, along with the CMHP’s 21 Crashbeds, for a total of 167 beds on site in this one location.
2007 Rotholme Women’s & Family Shelter changes its focus and services predominately families, with the majority of single women accessing other shelter beds in the city. The need and demand for families, both single parent and both parent lead, keep capacity at its peak.
2007 The pilot project with the City of London, Hostels to Homes, is meeting with extreme success and is noted across the province.
2010, 2011, 2015 Anniversaries: The Women’s Auxiliary of Mission Services of London celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 2010. Mission Services of London celebrated its 60th Anniversary in 2011. Quintin Warner House celebrated its 50th Anniversary of being in London in 2015.
2016 The Mission Store and Administration Office opened in a new location at 4-797 York Street at Rectory on May 30, 2016. The Store celebrated its Grand Opening on July 23, 2016.

About Us

Mission Services of London opens doors of hope with compassion for those seeking emergency shelter and support, by offering safe shelter, food, clothing and rehabilitation.

Learn More arrow

getGet Email Updates

Sign-up to hear how we're making a difference in your community